Jumbled story. Words of each sentences are jumbled, sentences in the story are jumbled. First team to unjumble the sentences and form the story in the correct order wins!
What is learnt?
Students playing this game review present perfect simple, continous, active and passive forms. Sentence structure and word order is also practised in this ESL Game.
First prepare a story of around 15 sentences. Maybe a love story or some other story that can be followed.
Then jumble up the words of each sentence.
Transfer this onto an overhead projector paper or you could cut it into 15 long strips that can be read by all students. You could also make a copy of all the unjumbled sentences to hand to the students after the game has finished.
How the game is played:
- Divide the class into teams of three. Tell them they are going to play a grammar game and read a romantic love story at the same time.
- Explain the task and the scoring:
- Students will see a jumbled sentence; they have to sort out the jumble and make a sensible sentence, adding any necessary punctuation.
- Three points will go to the team that first shouts out an* unjumbled answer.
- Teams that shout out a wrong answer will lose one point.
- Tell the students that in addition to being jumbled, three out of the thirteen sentences contain grammar mistakes.
- A team that spots a grammar mistake will get three more points; if they can put it right they get an additional two points.
- A team that sees a mistake where there isn't one loses one point. (Sentences 7, 11 and 12 are the wrong ones.)
- Reveal the first jumbled sentence. The first team to call out the unjumbled sentence wins the points. If everybody is stuck then help them by giving the first three words of the sentence in the right order. Allow a maximum of three minutes per sentence. Keep a record of the scores as you go along.
- Reveal the final scores!
- Give out the'Unjumbled sentence sheet.
Acknowledgments: Thanks to Graham.J.B. for submitting this game to us.
Other Languages - Learning Resources
- Learn Chinese (Mandarin)
- Cantonese (Coming Soon)
If you have any games to add, or are would like to contact us for any other reason please use this form to do so.