Students discuss the word lack and complete a questionnaire with others.
What is learnt?
Noun to Adjective transformation adding less.
How the game is played:
- Brainstorm the idea of lack. Get the students to fill the board with ideas connected with lack, e.g. dearth, drought, short of etc.
- Pair the students and give out the Semantic questionnaire, one to each pair. Ask them to work through this, using a dictionary where necessary.
- Give out the Semantic questionnaire key and cope with things the students bring up.
- Pair the students. Give out one of the Personal questionnaires to person A in each pair and the other to person B. Tell the students to ask their questions.
- Can you think of a synonym for anonymous that ends in less?
- Suppose you are astonished and dumbfounded by something - you simply can't open your mouth -you are left less.
- You go running and you pant a lot - one could describe you as being less or out
- Can you find a word ending in less to describe a military commander who kills all his prisoners?
- Have you ever run a half marathon? After an hour's running the way ahead can seem less.
- How about a less word for unnecessary?
- You can talk about a man of limitless means (pots of money) but can you talk about a man of limitful means?
- A dress that is too large and doesn't fit you can be described as less.
- What's the opposite of a sensible idea?
- Give a synonym for 'still' in the sentence 'He stood absolutely still'.
- If a person does something unkind and rough to you, you can accuse them of being less.
- Do you understand this phrase: 'umpteen overland as tomorrowified'? You could describe the phrase as less.
- To say a 'dead corpse' sounds odd but you can say 'a....................... less corpse'.
- What is the opposite of 'kind', ending in less? (use a part of the body)
- If something is harmless, does it mean no harm will come to it?
- Do you think 'pregnant' is the opposite of childless?
- If you have hyper-inflation, the currency becomes........................ less. What's the opposite adjective?
- She has been a teacher, a plumber and has had a huge number of other jobs too. She has had less jobs.
- Is there any group of landless people in your country? Who?
- Saving pennies for the fun of it, if you yourself are well-off, is pretty less.
SEMANTIC QUESTIONNAIRE KEY
1 nameless (or faceless) 2 speechless ('wordless' does not fit as well here) 3 breathless or out-of-breath 4 merciless or ruthless ('heartless'is too weak) 5 endless 6 needless 7 no 8 shapeless 9 senseless 10 motionless 11 thoughtless or heartless ('thoughtless' implies they are unaware) 12 meaningless 13 lifeless 14 heartless 15 no 16 no, because a childless woman is not necessarily a barren woman 17 worthless; strong 18 countless 19 (student's own answer) 20 pointless
PERSONAL QUESTIONNAIRE A
Student A (to student B)
- When was the last time you felt relatively helpless? Tell me about it. What happened then?
- When did someone in authority last set you a pointless task? What was it? How did you react?
- Waiting can seem endless. Does it ever happen to you?
- Have you ever read a book you feel is timeless? Why does it have this quality of timelessness for you?
- Are your thought processes ever shapeless and all over the place? What do you do about it?
- When were you last left speechless with delight?
- Have you ever been in a situation where you felt powerless? Say more.
Acknowledgments: Thanks to Graham.J.B. for submitting this game to us.
Other Languages - Learning Resources
- Learn Chinese (Mandarin)
- Cantonese (Coming Soon)
If you have any games to add, or are would like to contact us for any other reason please use this form to do so.